plume-model: refactor Searcher to have its own DbPool #809

已關閉
igalic wants to merge 6 commits from igalic/Plume:refactor/extract-searcher-with-dbpool into main
所有者

This PR is another attempt at fixing #799

Instead of relying on a separate actor model, as described, we make use of the fact that DbPool is an Arc, and can be arbitrarily cloned, so we add it to Searcher. Further more, and db_pool.get() acts like sending a message to an Actor: if there are enough connections, the Pool gives us one, if not, tough luck!

this way, we don't need to pass along a conn into the searcher functions.
This should make splitting PlumeRocket up into its components a little easier.

This PR is another attempt at fixing #799 Instead of relying on a separate actor model, as described, we make use of the fact that DbPool is an `Arc`, and can be arbitrarily cloned, so we add it to `Searcher`. Further more, and `db_pool.get()` *acts* like sending a message to an Actor: if there are enough connections, the Pool gives us one, if not, tough luck! this way, we don't need to pass along a conn into the searcher functions. This should make splitting PlumeRocket up into its components a little easier.
igalic added 1 commit 1 年之前
3b21eb766d
plume-model: refactor Searcher to have its own DbPool
kiwii approved these changes 1 年之前
kiwii left a comment

👌

let lang = schema.get_field("lang").unwrap();
let license = schema.get_field("license").unwrap();
let conn = self.dbpool.get().unwrap();
發佈者
所有者

I would prefer using ? instead of unwrap here.

I would prefer using `?` instead of `unwrap` here.
發佈者
所有者

can you briefly explain why?

we use .unwrap() in all other lines.

can you briefly explain why? we use `.unwrap()` in all other lines.
發佈者
所有者

I think all the previous ones are safe: we now it can't panic because we control the search index schema, we know that these fields exist (even if Rust can't check this at comoile-time). Here, we may fail to get a DB connection from the pool for whatever reason, and I think we should make the error "go up", so that the web UI or the CLI can display a proper error.

I think all the previous ones are safe: we now it can't panic because we control the search index schema, we know that these fields exist (even if Rust can't check this at comoile-time). Here, we may fail to get a DB connection from the pool for whatever reason, and I think we should make the error "go up", so that the web UI or the CLI can display a proper error.
let searcher = self.reader.searcher();
let res = searcher.search(&query.into_query(), &collector).unwrap();
let conn = self.dbpool.get().unwrap();
發佈者
所有者

Same here.

Same here.
kiwii added 1 commit 1 年之前
igalic reviewed 1 年之前
igalic left a comment

👀

Io(std::io::Error),
MissingApProperty,
NotFound,
DbPool,
發佈者
所有者

you're not trying to convert the original diesel::r2d2::Error?

you're not trying to convert the original `diesel::r2d2::Error`?
發佈者
所有者

It is a r2d2::Error, not the same as Diesel's one apparently. And I don't want to add another direct dependency in our Cargo.toml.

It is a `r2d2::Error`, not the same as Diesel's one apparently. And I don't want to add another direct dependency in our Cargo.toml.
發佈者
所有者

gonna have to ask somebody how the heck this is happening

gonna have to ask somebody how the heck this is happening
let conn = match self.dbpool.get() {
Ok(c) => c,
Err(_) => return Err(Error::DbPool),
發佈者
所有者

that means we won't know exactly why the pool didn't give us a connection

that means we won't know exactly why the pool didn't give us a connection
kiwii added 1 commit 1 年之前
39ca7da3f0 Introduce Searcher::new
igalic reviewed 1 年之前
igalic left a comment

🙋🏻‍♀️

///
/// The panic messages are normally explicit enough for a human to
/// understand how to fix the issue when they see it.
pub fn new(db_pool: DbPool) -> Arc<Self> {
發佈者
所有者

why are we returning Arc<Self>?
this means our code needs to know exactly how it's going to be used

what about cli? does that use an Arc?

i would use this function to only return a Self
there's no need to init_pool, we just want a copy

we can create an initialize method, which tries to call open and create methods in the appropriate order with the error recovery, if that makes sense here

but as it stands, for a new function, this does too much

why are we returning `Arc<Self>`? this means our code needs to know exactly how it's going to be used what about cli? does that use an Arc? i would use this function to only return a Self there's no need to init_pool, we just want a copy we can create an initialize method, which tries to call open and create *methods* in the appropriate order with the error recovery, if that makes sense here but as it stands, for a new function, this does too much
kiwii added 1 commit 1 年之前
igalic added 1 commit 1 年之前
igalic force-pushed refactor/extract-searcher-with-dbpool from 9309ed279f to a5c81498b2 1 年之前
igalic added 1 commit 1 年之前
發佈者
所有者

closing in favour of #813

closing in favour of #813
igalic closed this pull request 1 年之前

Reviewers

kiwii approved these changes 1 年之前
請重新開啟合併請求來完成合併操作。
登入 才能加入這對話。
No reviewers
未選擇里程碑
No Assignees
2 參與者
訊息
Due Date

No due date set.

Dependencies

This pull request currently doesn't have any dependencies.

Loading…
尚未有任何內容