[fediverse.blog]Investigate and experiment how to keep federation while moving instance
- Run plume01, plume02, mastodon01 and make federate each other
- Post, comment to, fav and reblog some articles
- Move plume01 to another server
- Change DNS record and wait for update
- Interact with new server
- Previous messages and images are shown?
- Can comment? From remote?
- Creating, updating, deleting posts are federated?
- Mentions in posts are federated?
- plume02's post federated to plume01?
@KitaitiMakoto@bookwor.ms all three support an outgoing queue, so failed requests will be retried later. the queue lifetime varies, so it depends on each instance's settings, but if you're only down an hour or two, you can generally expect to not lose anything. it can take a few hours for posts to come in again (just whenever it decides to retry) and the timeline may appear with old posts at the top while it's catching up
Deleting a branch is permanent. It CANNOT be undone. Continue?